Update 9/2010: Many thanks to everyone for their support. I regret to inform you all that Logger will no longer be maintained. What can I say? I no longer have the free time to give it the attention it deserves, technologies have changed and there is no longer really a need for the tool now that the OS has evolved. I will keep this site up for the time being though, just in case anyone is interested.
Logger 3.0 screenshot
What is 'Logger'?
Logger is a Windows program that keeps a log of the most recent system startup and
Logger takes down these times automatically.
Logger is freeware.
What can I use Logger for?
You can use Logger
- to find out if, when and how long somebody has been working on your PC in your absence,
- to record your working time,
- or to check how long your kids have been sitting in front of your PC.
Security features overview
If you decide to use Logger to check if someone has been using your PC,
Logger offers the following security features:
- Password protection (optional)
- Background logging & invisible start (optional)
- Logger does not appear on the Windows task bar and can be hidden from the system tray (so it is no longer visible from the desktop)
- Logger can be removed from the task list (under Windows 95,98 & ME only)
- The log file is not readable with programs other than Logger (it can be exported though), can be assigned any filename and can be hidden anywhere on your hard drive
Other features include:
- Comprehensive help system
- From 5 up to max. 250 log entries are kept (most recent)
- Standby time is also recorded
- The log file (or parts of it) can be exported to a standard text file
- Logger supports different user interfaces (themes)
- Logger supports multiuser environments
Logger 2.0 has appeared in PC-WELT magazine issue 3/2002 as one of the "25 top freeware tools" and was included on the CD coming with the magazine.
PC-WELT is the German edition of PC World USA, according to IVW Q 3/2001 audition it is the best selling monthly PC-magazine in Europe.
New features in version 3.0:
- PC standby time is recorded as well
- Added filters in the Show Log dialog and for the log export
- Skins are now themes; they can be changed in the Settings-dialog
- Added tooltips
- Fixed a Windows 2000/XP bug
You can find more detailed information in the ReadMe file that comes with Logger.
Logger runs under Windows 95 or higher, is easy to use and has a comprehensive help system.
Logger is freeware, which means that you don't have to pay for it and can pass on copies.
It can currently record up to 250 log entries on a most-recent-basis.
Minimum system requirements:
Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT 4 / 2000 / XP,
1 MB of disk space
Current version: 126.96.36.199
Homepage design: Benjamin Wrightson
Artwork by Michael Wrightson
September 19, 2010